12.13.2005

how great our joy





Throughout this Christmas season, I have been humbled as I think of the love of God and the incarnation. To think that Majesty would take on human form….to be in the womb of a woman…. I mean I’ve heard this story over and over for my whole life, but to really think about it….that Jesus was inside the body of Mary….

My wife and I are expecting the birth of our fifth child and to think that the Maker of the world at one time was in the womb, kicking and squirming around – it’s just mind boggling….

This was brought home to me through a little video clip that showed an ultrasound of a baby in a mother’s womb…how fragile, yet how powerful the One in the womb of Mary. God you just continue to amaze me….

Then to think of the joy when a baby is born…. How wonderful that experience is….and then to think how great the joy for the whole world when the baby Jesus was born….it is a joy that should surpass and does surpass all other joys. It’s because of Jesus, we can know what true joy is…..

This is a new hymn that I’ve been reflecting on and look forward to using in the next few weeks. As the last line of the song says Jesus – the One we celebrate – is “the Lord of History.” I’m so thankful He is.

JOY HAS DAWNED UPON THE WORLD

Joy has dawned upon the world /Promised from creation /God's salvation now unfurled /Hope for every nation /Not with fanfares from above /Not with scenes of glory /But a humble gift of love/Jesus born of Mary

Sounds of wonder fill the sky /With the songs of angels /As the mighty Prince of Life /Shelters in a stable /Hands that set each star in place /Shaped the earth in darkness /Cling now to a mother's breast /Vulnerable and helpless

Shepherds bow before the Lamb /Gazing at the glory/ Gifts of men from distant lands /Prophesy the story /Gold a King is born today/ Incense God is with us /Myrrh His death will make a way /And by His blood He'll win us

Son of Adam Son of heaven/ Given as a ransom /Reconciling God and man /Christ our mighty Champion! /What a Saviour what a Friend /What a glorious mystery/ Once a babe in Bethlehem /Now the Lord of history

By Stuart Townend & Keith Getty
Copyright 2004 Thankyou Music

No comments: