2.21.2006

getting in the way

How much do I want to see Jesus?

Today, I was reading the familiar story of Zaccheus in Luke 19 and was challenged on the question that listed above... Zacchaeus was one of those guys that no one cared for... He was a tax collector and a chief one at that, and in that culture, there weren't too many people that would have been disliked as much as him. He was a greedy, self-absorbed, dishonest kind of person. (not the kind of person that you'd think anyone would accept)

And what do we find him doing in the story? He's a short guy who can't see over the crowd, so he runs to get ahead of the crowd and get in a place that he will be able to see Jesus. He ran ahead and got in the way of Jesus! What a great idea! The thought came upon me.... how am I putting myself in the path of Jesus, so that I might see Him. There are things that I can do to help me come across the "One and Only."

And then the coolest thing is this, no matter how horribly we've messed up.... (Zacchaeus had messed up)... no matter how much... Jesus accepts us and desires to meet with us. The crowd was blown away that Jesus would talk with this guy, much less go to his house.

Two cool things I got out of this today...1) I gotta put myself in the way of Jesus...2) Jesus will meet with me no matter how much I've sinned, and how much people hate me

At the end of this little story, Jesus states once again his purpose.... "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." Luke 19:10

Lord, thank you for finding me....

No comments: