"For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." 2 Corinthians 5:14, 15
So true ... I am compelled ... compelled to love Christ ... compelled to live for him ...what a love!
I just finished reading the chapter in Tim Keller's The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism entitled, "Christianity is a Straightjacket." I appreciated how he concluded the chapter in which he addresses the idea that Christianity is confining and limiting to our freedom ... that absolute truth is the "enemy of freedom."
A friend of C.S. Lewis's was once asked, "is it easy to love God?' and he replied, "It is easy to those who do it." That is not as paradoxical as it sounds. When you fall deeply in love, you want to please the beloved. You don't wait for the person to ask you to do something for her. You eagerly research and learn every little thing that brings her pleasure. Then you get it for her, even if it costs you money or great inconvenience. "Your wish is my command," you feel -- and it doesn't feel oppressive at all. From the outside, bemused friends my think, "she's leading him around by the nose," but from the inside it feels like heaven.
For a Christian, it's the same with Jesus. The love of Christ constrains. Once you realize how Jesus changed for you and gave him self for you, you aren't afraid of giving up your freedom and therefore finding your freedom in him. (p.49-51)
-------------
Lord, thank you for your love ... when I understand all that you've done for me ... how you have demonstrated your love towards me ... how can I not love you with all that I am ... I am humbled ... I am free to live for you ...
No comments:
Post a Comment