Over the past month, I've made my way through David Platt's book entitled, Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream.
Throughout the book, I was challenged to consider again what it means to be a follower of Christ by taking a look at Jesus' life and his teaching throughout Scripture. Through Scripture, examples of the faithful who have already gone home, his own experiences from ministering around the world, and the real life stories of those in his own church family, Platt writes a compelling book which challenges the reader to consider the purpose of each one's life and how living for Christ and making much of God is the only aim worth living for. The final chapter then concludes the book with a challenge to join the "Radical Experiment."
"The Radical Experiment" involves five components. Through this experiment, Platt "dares" the reader to throughout the next year: pray for the entire world; read through the entire Word; sacrifice your money for a specific purpose; spend your time in another context; commit your life to a multiplying community.
Honestly, as I read the first two chapters of this book, I wasn't sure if I would continue the book as other books that I had recently read seemed have the same message (just watch the clip above to get an idea of what that message is), but I'm glad I continued on as Platt delved in the area of reaching the unreached with the Gospel and caring for the poor with an emphasis on the Gospel message, being a part of a community of believers, and the Church as God's plan for accomplishing his purposes.
As I came to the final chapter and finished the book, I was inspired to live a life of faith, trust, and radical obedience and sacrifice. I'm already thinking of ways that I can use this book to shape conversations with others. I recommend this book ... the challenge now is to discern how this looks in my life.
**With all that said, here is a helpful review of Radical written by Keven DeYoung which includes a response by Platt. Their discussion about "radical or crazy" Christianity is worth the read.
On the book's website the following summary is given for the book along with endorsements, and other related links and resources (you can download the first chapter of the book for free):
"In Radical, David Platt invites you to encounter what Jesus actually said about being his disciple, and then obey what you have heard. He challenges you to consider with an open heart how we have manipulated a God-centered gospel to fit our human-centered preferences. With passionate storytelling and convicting biblical analysis, Platt calls into question a host of comfortable notions that are common among Christ's followers today. Then he proposes a radical response: live the gospel in ways that are true, filled with promise, and ultimately world changing."
2 comments:
Hi,
Thanks for sharing this link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at thrushblog.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?
Thanks,
James
This link should work.
http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2010/05/25/getting-to-the-root-of-radical/
Post a Comment