2.20.2006

discpline

In his book entitled, Spiritual Disciplines for the Godly Life, Donald Whitney makes the statement the following statement that has spoken me today: "Discipline without direction is drudgery."

What an important truth, that we must always be mindful of! I know in my own life, that if I don't keep the goal or the picture of what I am working toward in front of me, I can easily get distracted and forget the purpose. When that happens, the drudgery sets in, but if I keep that goal in my sights, discipline and practice aren't drudgery, but rather joys.

Towards the end of the first chapter, Whitney quotes Elisabeth Elliot who reminds us that "freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward, of discipline."

Lord, help me keep my eyes on you and what you are calling us to.

No comments: