12.31.2010

Book Review: Under the Overpass



Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America written by Mike Yankoski was an engaging and challenging read.  It's the story of two young, college age guys (Mike and Same) who decide to leave all that they have and set out to experience life homeless on the streets of America.  As they set out on this adventure they had three objectives (p.9): 

  1. To better understand the life of the homeless in America, and see firsthand how the church is responding to their needs.
  2. To encourage others to "live out loud" for Christ in whatever ways God is asking them to.
  3. To learn personally what it means to depend on Christ for my daily physical needs, and to experience contentment and confidence in Him.
Through their five months on this life-changing journey they accomplished their objectives and through Under the Overpass, Yankoski challenges readers to consider those same objectives in their own lives. 

I appreciated the challenging insights that were shared from one who saw life through the lens of a homeless person who is depending daily on the Lord to meet his needs.

In the final pages of the book and before providing ideas for ways to get involved in caring for the homeless in America, Yankoski writes, "The bottom line is that real love always shows itself in action. Nothing happens or changes in this world unless, by faith we actually do something." (p. 213)  

So true ... love is a verb ... one more thing that I'll share before closing down my thoughts on this book ... for this review anyhow.  In the final paragraphs of the book, the reader is left with this question to help him/her consider what next steps God may have for him/her ... so go ahead and ask yourself this question: "What would I do during my day or in my life for God if I wasn't concerned with what I wear, what I eat, where I sleep, what I own, what people think of me, or what discomforts I face?" (p. 216) 

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it." Matthew 16:24-25

I would definitely encourage others to read this book ... you can find out more information about the book at it's website which can be found here.
 

*I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

No comments: