12.10.2010

Conversation


As I take my time working through John Flavel's book entitled, Keeping the Heart, I ran across this quote related to what comes out of our mouths - the words we speak:

Take a Christian in a good frame, and how serious, heavenly and profitable will his conversation and religious exercises be!  What a lovely companion is he during the continuance of it!  It would do any one's heart good to be with him at such a time ... When the heart is up with God, and full of God how dexterously will he insinuate spiritual discourse, improving every occasion and advantage to some heavenly purpose!  Few words then run to waste. And what can be the reason that the discourses and duties of many Christians are become so frothy and unprofitable, their communion both with God and with one another becomes as a dry stalk, but this, their hearts are neglected?  Surely this must be the reason of it, and it is an evil greatly to be bewailed.  Thus the attracting beauty that was wont to shine from the conversation of the saints, upon the faces and consciences of the world, (which, if it did not  allure and bring them in love with the ways of God, at least left a testimony in their consciences of the excellency of those men and of their ways,) is in a great measure lost, to the unspeakable detriment of religion.  Time was when Christians conducted in such a manner that the world stood gazing at them.

Haven't we all had those occasions when we left a conversation with someone and were encouraged, edified, and inspired to love God and others more?  I know I have, and what a blessing it has been to be in their presence.  I would agree with Flavel's point, that this kind of conversation is a reflection of a heart that is communing with God.  

Today, I ran across this post by C.J. Mahaney on the gift of conversation where he gives some helpful questions to consider as we prepare for our conversations.  Mahaney reminds us of Ephesians 4:29 where Paul says, "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." 

Here's an excerpt from his post:

"... too often I can put more thought into the gifts I buy them than I do the content of my conversations with them at Christmas. In fact the content of my conversation can be a gift of greater substance and of more enduring value.
By using words that are carefully and skillfully chosen, we can give the gift of grace to others. And Christmas provides us with many opportunities for conversations with a variety of friends and family. But are you prepared?"
So how's your conversation? Is it gift and blessing to others?  Do the words you say build others up?  Are they grace giving? Maybe more imporantly, how's your communion with God?

No comments: