11.10.2007

A Week Away in Williamsburg


WHAT WE DID: This past week our family had a great time getting away from the routine here at home and took a family vacation down to Williamsburg, VA. We had a real nice time visiting with some friends, swimming, playing miniature golf, watching Noah skateboard at to skate parks that we found, playing some video games, taking some walks through Colonial Williamsburg, running, and basically just spending time as a family.


SOME BOOKS I READ: During some of the down time ... in the midst of week rather ... (not sure that you ever get downtime with 5 young children:)) I was able to get some reading in .... Here's what I read:


Humility: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney (I really appreciated this Gospel-centered book ... humility ... God help me grow in this ... )


The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Mark Dever (I would also recommend this book ... Dever made some points that I was encouraged by ... The Gospel is the truth ... and evangelism is not an "imposition" as we may sometimes be deceived into thinking ... it's not just our way of thinking amidst other ways of thinking .... it's the truth ... He also encourages us to evangelism (telling the Gospel) reminding us of the sovereignty of God and the doctrine of election. To sum it up Dever says it this way of evangelism on page 107:

"This is to be our evangelism: a God-given commission and method, a God-centered message, and a God-centered motive. We should all evangelize. Evangelism isn't all thos other things we considered; it is telling the good news about Jesus, and doing it with honesty, urgency, and joy, using the Bible, living a life that backs it up, and praying, and doing it all for the glofy of God.

No comments: